Are you experienced in construction outreach and passionate about engaging the community? Are you an excellent writer? Do you love to wrap your head around the details of complex projects and translate them into easy-to-understand outreach materials and presentations? If so, you might be the Public Affairs Specialist that Irvine Ranch Water District is looking for. Focusing on community outreach and engagement, this Public Affairs Specialist will be part of a close-knit team of public affairs representatives, graphic artists, photographers, educators, and social media specialists charged with informing customers and the public about the mission, projects and programs of Orange County’s largest water district.
Summary of Duties:
- Plan, track and coordinate communication efforts for construction projects, maintenance, water quality programs, emergency repairs and other district projects.
- Conduct outreach via newsletters, construction alerts, web updates and direct customer contact.
- Participate in and lead project meetings with district staff, contractors and consultants.
- Write and deliver speeches and presentations to community groups; coordinate other speakers.
- Serve as a liaison with residents, homeowner groups, organizations and governmental officials.
- Respond to customer inquiries and concerns.
- Arrange and conduct tours of facilities, coordinate events, and assist in development of event budgets.
- Write, research, and copy edit monthly newsletters and customer billing inserts.
- Create, write and edit internal and external publications, including brochures, educational materials, PowerPoint presentations and website copy.
- Conduct, coordinate, schedule and assist with educational programs for schools, youth groups and nature programs — including activities associated with the San Joaquin Marsh Campus and the Discovery Science Water Education Program.
- Make decisions and solve problems by analyzing information.
- Work in a team environment to accomplish joint goals and tasks
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, public administration, business administration, marketing, or related field.
- At least three years of experience in a public relations or related position where written and verbal skills were used daily.
- Proven aptitude to learn about and understand technical engineering and construction projects.
- Outstanding writing skills, with ability to clearly explain complex programs and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects on deadline.
- Familiarity with website copy writing, social media outreach, and website management.
- Positive attitude with ability to think creatively and have fun.
- Water industry experience is desired.
- Construction outreach experience is highly desired.
How to Apply: Complete position details, including detailed job description, salary and the application process are available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/irwd.
For more information about our benefits, please visit: http://www.irwd.com/about-us/retirement-and-benefits
About IRWD: Irvine Ranch Water District is the largest water district in Orange County, California. We are dedicated to transparency and innovation – maximizing the efficient use of water and renewable resources to benefit our customers and enhance the environment. We provide high-quality drinking water, reliable sewage treatment, groundbreaking recycled water programs and environmentally sound urban runoff treatment for more than 390,000 residents. We seek highly qualified, innovative and creative people who are committed to those values and dedicated to excellence in public service. Established in 1961, IRWD is an independent, not-for-profit public agency, governed by a five-member, publicly elected board of directors. To learn more, visit http://www.irwd.com.